Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Week 3 EOC: My Demographic

Along with being a Caucasian woman, I am considered to be a Millennial (also called Generation Y or the echo boomers). I was born in 1985 which falls between the years of this demographic. “This group includes several age cohorts: tweens (aged 9–12), teens (13–18), and young adults (19–32). With total purchasing power of more than $733 billion, the Millennials make up a huge and attractive market.” (Marketing: An Introduction for Education Management Corporation, pg 73)

There are several things that identify the Millennial demographic. "One thing that all of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology. They don’t just embrace technology, it’s a way of life. The Millennials were the first generation to grow up in a world filled with computers, cellphones, satellite TV, iPods, and online social networks." (Marketing: An Introduction for Education Management Corporation, pg. 73). I would agree with this. My life wasn’t filled with a  lot of digital technology until my teenage years except for the use of a Television, but this did not slow me down at all.  I think this is true of most people my age.  We obtained it when our minds were young and still adapting to everything around us and now we are still the ones that marketers reach out too. This is because of the fact we grew up with it and we are accustom to it. 

Another fact about being Millennial is that we are on the web. "A recent study found that 91 percent of Millennials are on the Web, making up 32 percent of all U.S. Internet users. According to another study, 77 percent of Millennials frequent social networking sites and 71 percent use instant messaging."
(Marketing: An Introduction for Education Management Corporation, pg. 73). In this day in age I think that is true of all demographics, but yes, I am on the web almost the majority of every day. Even before Facebook, I was on the internet constantly because everything is literally at the click of a button. I am thankful to be a part of this generation for these reasons, but there are other things that worry me. Although it is a good thing also, the main reason is that in order to work you must have a college degree now. I think this is bad because many of my generation are not able to afford this. You essentially need money to make money. I am curious to see what more trends will come from my demographic in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment